Friday, August 12, 2016

Rafting hat

Salmon River 2016
I bought this old-fashioned rafting hat for a trip down the Salmon River in Idaho. Its wide brim and bow reminded me of a wild west school teacher. My four-year-old son was in his room playing. I put on the hat and called, "Jacob, come out please."

He runs out the door and stops in the hallway. One eyebrow lifts, studying me.

"I'm your new nanny," I say in a slight British accent. "First, we must work on your dance steps." I take both his hands. "Come along now. One, two three..."

We dance around the living room, him being more obedient than usual. I can barely believe I actually got him to listen and dance with me.

"Now bow, Jacob." I lean over in a big dramatic bow.

His hand ruffles the edge of my hat.

"Your turn, Jacob. Bow."

His eyes narrow as he begins the motion. He stops halfway. "Show me again, please."

"Like this." I gracefully extend my arms and bow like a ballerina. As I reach the low point, he rips off my hat.

"I knew it was you Mommy!" he exclaims.

I love my boy!
McCall, Idaho 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment